Meteorology for Energy
The general objective is to address and overcome central algorithmic core problems in the realm of energy meteorology, each one substantially reducing and removing bottlenecks:
- Improving the predictability of wind and solar power with a focus on low-probability extreme-error events by ultra-large meteorological ensemble forecasts with particle filtering;
- Post-processing the ultra-large ensemble forecasts for producing improved meteorological forecasts along with their uncertainty quantification;
- Employing solar energy prediction to a prediction of optimal power generation of concentrated solar power;
- Providing short-term (10 minutes to 3-4 hours) forecast of global irradiation from ground-based and satellite images;
- Developing beyond-the state-of-the art high performance simulation tools to predict the wind behaviour over complex terrain.